This morning I started the coffee pot and had an epiphany. I would make a mug rug for the December guild challenge. I had been toying with a different idea but could not get motivated. We are supposed to use colors that begin with our initials so I was working with Eggplant, Vanilla and Kelly Green … or Emerald, Violet and Khaki … or Ecru, Violet and Kelly Green.
A few months ago I saw the Hybrid Tea Rose block on “15 Minutes Play Blog”. You can check it out here. www.15minutesplay.com/2011/07hybrid-tea-rose-block.html I have been wanting to try the block so I pulled out my green fabric crumbs, chose ones that I thought could pass for emerald for Kelly green and started piecing green fabric that would become the leaves.
I found a big chunk of neutral for the Ecru, Vanilla, light Khaki background.
I pulled out my purple fabric crumbs ( thinking Violet and Eggplant ) and pieced the rose. I really wanted the lady bug.
At first I squared up to 4.5” and then decided that was too large for the mug rug. I wanted it to finish about 6 by 8” so I trimmed the half-square triangle units to 3.5” and made another leaf. Then I ended with a 6.5 by 9.5” mug rug.
Recently on “Sewing with Nancy” on my ETV station she used fusible tape to hold a small quilt sandwich together so I pulled out my roll of ½ inch wide Stitch Witchery and used small pieces to make my sandwich. I free-motion quilted leaves and curls and a center for the flower. I found the gold in my box of leftover binding and a couple of hours later I have a cute mug rug finished.
I hope many of you have taken on the challenge and I look forward to seeing the results next Tuesday at our meeting.