January General Meeting - Aby Dolinger

In January the guild hosted Aby Dolinger. She was a familiar face to some members since she used to live in the area. As a matter of fact Aby has lived in 5 states as well as Germany, since her husband is a US Army Chaplain. Aby's quilts have been in McCalls Quilting, McCalls Quick Quilts and Quiltmakers 100 Blocks. She shared her personal history with quiltmaking, as well as some tips on submitting quilt designs to quilt magazines.

Aby started her presentation with some antique quilts from her collection and then her contemporary versions that were inspired by these quilts.



Aby shared so many quilts with the group that I can't possibly show them all, so I'm going to show my absolute favorites. This first hexagon quilt I remember seeing in McCalls Quilting magazine back in 2013. I liked it so much I tore the pages out and saved them.

I can't remember if the one on the left is vintage or it has reproduction fabrics, but I love the use of these fabrics and the added appliqué block in the center. The one on the right is a Jen Kingwell pattern and is a great way to use all those blocks you make in workshops or demos that have no other home. Not all the same size? Who cares?
             
           

No comments: